Services Themes

Reconstruction/Rehabilitation of the listed TIETZ into "Cultural Shopping Center Chemnitz" DAStietz

with Natural History Museum, City Library, Adult Education Center, New Saxon Gallery with workshop area, Archive area, Magazines, Administration, Commerce/Gastronomy and Event areas


Historical Review

  • built 1913, as department store H&C Tietz according to the building plans of the architect Prof. Wilhelm Kreis, one of the leading representatives of German architecture
  • the first pre-construction drawings for the department store are dated March 1912, further plan alterations followed in June and December the same year as well as in January and February of the year 1913
  • May 1912 - Approval for the demolition of the existing old building substance
  • September 1912 - Beginning of the civil engineering- and foundation works
  • 8 October 1912 - Grant for the construction permit
  • 23 October 1913 - Opening and inauguration of the department store

Special characteristics of the building

  • for that era time a really modern concrete framed construction with 4 full-storeys over the basement
  • the ground plan is, following the street alignments, oblique-angled and has in the alignment of the north façade a slight turning
  • through an accentuated façade structure and the use of typical arrangement forms of the (neo-) classicism era the building has a certain proud magnificence, which were supported through the squaring of the Elbe sandstone and stonemasoned decorational elements and embellishments
  • central element of the interior is the big atrium, flanked by two small atriums
  • the big atrium was spanned over the 3rd floor through an opulent designed, slightly rounded stained glass ceiling, two big flambeaus were hanging down into the atrium
  • typical for the house Tietz was the furnishing of the first floor and the upper storey galleries with glass showcases and luxuriant furnishing, in the both main staircases mainly marble was used, the doors were made of oak wood with palisander veneer and electric- mirror glass fillings
  • 1926/27 - according to the building plans of the Chemnitz architect Erich Basarke, the original existing extension "Basarke Haus" was connected at the Wiesenstraße
  • 1927/28 New creation of partial areas of the building (confectionery rooms on the 2nd floor and food hall in the 4th floor)
  • 8. November 1938 - Closing of the department store by the Nazis
  • Until 1945 temporary use for different trade- and storage purposes as well as seizure of the basements, kitchens and storage areas through the "Marine Beschaffungsamt Wilhelmshafen, office Chemnitz
  • 5 March 1945 - through bomb raids of the Allies the department store was hit and burned out, only the extension of Basarke was relatively undamaged and was used after the war as a KONSUM-department store, the conserved basement- and first floor rooms were repaired very fast - as of 1949 the rooms were used again as furniture store
  • starting 1952 - Sanitation works on the roof and concrete framed construction
  • 1957/61 - Enactment of the district council and the council of the City Karl-Marx-Stadt for the reconstruction and conversion of the building into a modern department store owned by the people
  • 1958 - Begin of the planning
  • 1960 - 1963 - Reconstruction and conversion of the building

during the reconstruction and rebuildingthe following, extensive alterations were made:

  • cap of the 3 atriums
  • Installation of escalator systems in the area of the small atriums
  • Crucial changes of the façade through the installation of a solid, the shop window front following cantilevered roof, which is customized to the shop window front and which sectioned off the first floor - modification and relocation
  • Changing of the entrance area in design and location
  • New creation of the shop window front and relocation of this on the site Moritzstraße round its axle in the building interior
  • 28 March 1963 - grand opening of one of the biggest and most modern department of the former GDR (DDR)
  • 1991 - 2001 - used as a department store
  • November 2001 - Kaufhof AG moved out

Outline concept

  • Intention of all project parties was, to create a home, which modernly, transparently and communicatively presents its versatile use
  • Big, light-flooded atriums reflect the outlined idea of transparency, simpleness and sincerity
  • Beside the glass-roofed atriums the new glass façade with put-forward glass elevator in the area Reitbahnstraße provides for a friendly atmosphere within the building
  • Defining for the inside of the building and the overall concept of the house is the big central atrium with the "sculpture" of the Stone Forrest, which stands after a specially for this location drafted floor plan under the in 25 m high placed glass roof, for this season the atrium was not caped for the upper 3rd floor, to facilitate an appropriate appearance for the unique exhibition object 
  • The people can receive information at the central information desk which is located near the big atrium, which is intersection point of the main entrances
  • A lounge opposite the information desk presents the gastronomic addition
  • Along the historical first floor façade are arranged small commercial units are arranged, which invite the visitor to stroll and shopping
  • In the upper floors multifunctional event- and presentation areas as well as functional and usage areas for the public are located all of them facing the central atrium
  • The surrounding of the atrium is possible in each floor and creatively desired, to allow visual transparency of the single floors among each other
  • Characterized mark of the interior is the consequent implementation of the color -and material concept, beginning with floors, walls, ceilings, up to the chairs, tables and shelves
  • Glass, wood and steel are the dominating materials of the interior
  • Deviding walls made of glass in pile-bar-construction provide a transparent room impression
  • Implementation of different security, fire protection and sound proofing regulations

Monument and preservation measures:

  • restoration of the historical face of the building through:
  • Reconstruction and protective cleaning of the sandstone façade
  • Reconstruction of the former roof and the roof drainage using copper models
  • Preservation of the existing atrium character with circulating hallways in all floors
  • Reconstruction/ conversion of a posteriori carried out construction measures on the façade and in the entire inner building
  • Reconstruction of the reinforced concrete - cantilevered roof
  • Reconstruction of the escalators in the small atriums and the ceiling beginning with the 2nd floor
  • Reestablishment of the shopwindows in size and installation of windows with glazing barsaccording to historical model


The C&E Consulting and Engineering GmbH Chemnitz is certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001:2015.

Other certifications and approvals


Overall planning and Supervision of construction,
Service phase. 1 to 9

Projektierungs- und Verwaltungs-
gesellschaft TIETZ Chemnitz mbH

27.700 T€